Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Sound of Music

The Sound of Music is one of the most popular film musicals of all time, The Rodgers and Hammerstein classic stars Julie Andrews as a novitiate who becomes governess to a large family in Austria in the 1930's. She charms the five girls and two boys who were her charges as well as their father who was played by Christopher Plummer. The film was the winner of five Oscars, including Best Picture; with Eleanor Parker, Richard Haydn. Songs include "Do Re Mi," "My Favorite Things," and the title tune.


Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites...When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad...
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

Below is a picture of the stars forty years after playing the Von Trapp children.
Julie Andrews commemorated her 69th birthday on October 1. She made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP. One of the musical numbers she performed for the AARP was the version of "My Favourite Things" from the legendary movie "The Sound Of Music. Here are the lyrics she was said to have sung:
Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Cadillac's and cataracts, and hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favourite things..

When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favourite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favourite things.

Back pains, confused brains, and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short, shrunken frames,
When we remember our favourite things.
When the joints ache, When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad!

No comments: